Up to 45 minutes away for a flat fee
EducationAlumna, Bachelor of Journalism with magazine and Spanish concentrations at The University of Texas at Austin, Class of 2013.
- Tutored a great 9th grade girl who had switched schools mid-year in algebra I after being contacted through UniversityTutor. In three weeks, I helped her catch back up to speed on background math skills and current algebra topics, boosting her grade from an F to a C (and getting better!) and preparing her for the algebra STAAR test.
- I spent three months as a multimedia consultant for a nonprofit that has college students peer mentor high school students in financial literacy, where I worked with students and filmed feature profiles about their relationships with their mentors, which I learned by tutoring.
-Taught a bright 5-year-old boy Spanish through UniversityTutor for two months to prepare him for Spanish immersion school, using hands-on, fun, interactive methods to engage him.
- Tutored a wonderful young girl through UniversityTutor for about 1.5 years in writing, reading comprehension, and later in STAAR test prep for reading, science, and math. I raised her grade from a C to an A, the highest in the class. I also helped guide her as she applied to get into magnet schools, and she made it into her first choice school.
- I spent a summer in college initially tutoring and teaching English to a group of elementary school students in my cultural community who recently moved to the U.S., translating from Urdu to English. I ended up coordinating the classes for all ages with a peer: we recruited teachers, organized the class allocation, planned the curriculum, class lessons and games with available resources and support.
- I tutored a group of small children with writing, reading, and math skills in San Antonio once a week for three months.
- I help my peers with editing and developing writing skills and have for years.
- Tutored other high schoolers in Spanish, English/writing, and history throughout high school.
- Tutored two 3rd graders with math twice a week at Williams Elementary in Katy Texas from 10/2008-04/2009.
- I was a 2nd and 3rd grade teacher (wizard) in a summer learning program called EXCITE!, which helps students build critical thinking skills. I was also the Parent Content Coordinator most recently.
- I have two little cousins who I have helped raise like my little siblings and always help them with their homework and other tutoring needs.
AP: World History: 5, English Lang.: 5, English Lit: 4, Biology: 4, Government: 5, Spanish Lang. & Lit: 3, Statistics: 5, U.S. History: 5.
Although my background is in journalism/media, I've always loved to teach and tutor in my free time, and I'm truly invested in the issue of education not only for the purpose of success but to foster curiosity and interests in children. My mother has a master's in education, was a teacher, teacher trainer/evaluator, and still teaches early childhood development with parents and their children. I grew up with that same passion. I love working with kids, but I also enjoy connecting with and supporting older students, too. I enjoy getting to know students and helping them with concepts creatively until they "get it." That's always an awesome feeling. Most importantly, especially when I work with students for a longer period of time, I take pride and great satisfaction in being a role model and mentor for my students over time.
I studied abroad for a semester in Granada, Spain, where I became fluent in Spanish and took courses in history, art & architecture, and more in Spanish. However, I am also perfectly comfortable with Mexican and Latin/South American dialects as well.
I am also fluent in speaking Hindi/Urdu but not reading or writing it. If there is anything else out of the usual subjects you need help with that I haven't listed, feel free to ask me about it. Doesn't hurt, right? I'm energetic, passionate about tutoring, encouraging, and adaptable. I like to be creative and use hands-on methods or pneumonic devices, but if needed, I can also stick with traditional methods. I like to think I have a great sense of humor and get along well with different types of people.
I prefer to meet with potential students and their parents before working with them (free of charge, of course!) so that we can get to know each other, make sure we click, and for me to do a quick diagnostic of the student's needs and learning style. I usually prefer meeting in libraries and coffee shops, but I am willing to work in students' homes if necessary, especially for younger students who may feel more comfortable and focused there. I can work with students for one hour or even two hours if needed. I do not recommend working for longer than 2.5 hours.
Flat fee for longer distances (25 min. away or more, up to 45 min. away) is $5. This is to compensate for the additional time and gas. I hope you can understand.
HobbiesReading, photography, flipping through magazines and newspapers, web comics, making puns, dancing, listening to music and going to concerts, cooking/baking, watching movies, traveling and being engaged in the community around me. I'm also currently working on my first documentary short film.
Reading, Language Arts, Writing, English (including basic ESL), Spanish, Algebra, Elementary Math, History, Geography, Pre-School/Kindergarten - 8th Grade, Computer Skills, Microsoft Office software, intro to Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Pro 7 & X, intro to photography & intro to film (including DSLRs), Audacity, SoundSlides, other computer programs (inquire).
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.